Being a huge fan of action films, I could not help but envy my many movie and television heroes for their brutal bravery and decisive victory over various devilish bad-guys! Some of them were so convincing on screen that if I would have bet my paycheck, I would have gladly declared that they were hard-core staunch advocates for gun rights!
But reality has set in…and I’m glad my paycheck is still intact.
I hate to admit how wrong I was. Many of these action stars I have loved and admired through the years are nothing more than totally disappointing trigger pussies!
Here is a list of several:
- Sean Connery: I saved the best for first. I am a HUGE James Bond fan. And I am the first to admit that Sean Connery, hands-down, is the greatest actor to portray James Bond, ever. And I really do not believe anyone is ever going to top him in this most legendary role. As for his gun politics, he has been quoted as saying in an ad for the BBC: “It is said that a total ban on handguns, including .22s, would take away innocent pleasure from thousands of people. Is that more or less pleasure than watching your child grow up?” Quite eloquently stated, though it does serve to tarnish his James Bond image like a dirty diaper would if resting on a table at Pizza Hut next to a large Pepperoni with extra cheese and banana peppers.
- Sylvester Stallone: Rambo himself was quoted as having said: “Until America, door to door, takes every handgun, this is what you’re gonna have. It’s pathetic. It really is pathetic. It’s sad. We’re living in the Dark Ages over there.” Grant it, he was living over in the UK when this comment was made in response to the death of Phil Hartman. So I’m hoping we can chalk this one up to peer pressure, though I would highly doubt it.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger: Before he went into politics, the Governator used to be a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment. But I guess he started reading shittier books and reports that somehow changed his view. He put his pen to work, supporting the U.S. ban on assault weapons and the Brady Bill. His famous words in Time magazine: “I’m for gun control. I’m a peace-loving guy.”
- Michael Douglas: This seems sort of hypocritical since he got his first major prominent role playing a cop on The Streets of San Francisco.
- Mark Harmon: He plays a Marine on NCIS. How many Marines do you know that believe in gun control. There may be a few, but its hardly anything to be proud about.
- Liam Neeson: This famous action star has a particular set of skills…holding press conferences must not be one of them. He was quoted as saying: “It is the right to bear arms which is the problem. I think if the Founding Fathers knew what was happening they would be turning in their graves with embarrassment at how that law has been interpreted.” I wonder how many other Americans wanted him to go back across the pond to Ireland after having made such a statement.
- Matt Damon: Earlier, I said that I was saving the best for first. I lied. Sean Connery was tied for the last trigger pussy on this list: Matt Damon. Here are some of his thoughts on the matter: “The stand your ground law, I think is, is, is, I hope that they would revisit that. I mean I lived in Florida for five years, so we can’t have a world you know where people are putting guns in their pockets walking around looking for, thinking you know, that they’re the neighborhood watch. You know, I mean we have a police force for that and we should leave the novices at home.” Speaking of novices, you think we may need someone to prepare his speeches for him?
These seven most surprising actors believe in gun control. Yet they take on roles where they literally run around, waving guns all over the place, to and fro.
Am I saying that I feel we should boycott these actors and their movies? Absolutely not. I may not necessarily respect their politics where the 2nd Amendment is concerned. But I do respect their work as actors. After all, they handled their roles convincingly enough to make me feel major disappointment upon hearing their true-to-life feelings on the issue of gun control. What is the job of an actor? To act, or to support gun rights? I rest my case!
However, these actors are not getting off that easily! I’ve listed the trigger pussies…now I need to make a list of the grade-A action heroes who really do and / or did support the 2nd Amendment. These are the ones who we truly admire because they walk the walk in and out of their action roles!
- Brad Pitt: “America is a country founded on guns. It’s in our DNA. It’s very strange but I feel better having a gun. I really do. I don’t feel safe, I don’t feel the house is completely safe, if I don’t have one hidden somewhere. That’s my thinking, right or wrong.”
- Angelina Jolie: “I bought original, real guns of the type we used in ‘Tomb Raider’ for security. Brad and I are not against having a gun in the house, and we do have one. And yes, I’d be able to use it if I had to … If anybody comes into my home and tries to hurt my kids, I’ve no problem shooting them.” Damn! Nothing sexier than boobs and guns! Brad Pitt is a lucky man!
- James Earl Jones: Darth Vader himself would rather carry a Smith & Wesson as opposed to a light saber. Either way, the Force is still with him! Many of us probably remember him playing a director in the C.I.A. in the Tom Clancy movies. This is what he had to sensibly say about gun rights: “The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.”
- Bruce Willis: The Die-Hard star is another one who lives the example of the 2nd Amendment. His words: “Everyone has a right to bear arms. If you take guns away from legal gun owners, then the only people who have guns are the bad guys.”
- Ice-T: Ice-T once got a bad reputation for a song he wrote called “Cop Killer” that glorified killing cops. Many people do not understand that it was in response to the police corruption associated with the Rodney King beating. He went on to star as a cop in the hit show Law & Order SVU. This is what he had to say about gun rights: “The right to bear arms is because that’s the last form of defense against tyranny. Not to hunt.”
- Joe Montegna: The Criminal Minds star got caught talking impressive gun lingo: “I’ve shot pretty much every handgun caliber you can think of, and the .45 ACP is perfect. It has mass, the recoil is a little more, you get a lot of push, but you don’t get a lot of torque. And it’s just the aesthetics of it—it’s old school—it’s what I carry on Criminal Minds.”
- Clint Eastwood: The best for last! Dirty Harry himself has commented: “I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
My advice to readers of this article: Don’t let your panties get into a wad just because some action stars are total gun pussies. Simply support and appreciate the wonderful job they do on screen; after all, much of it actually works in favor of supporting the 2nd Amendment, which they later turn around and bash. But what do people remember more, their comments or their movies? In my personal opinion, I say their movies!
And lastly, continue respecting those action stars who boldly live the tale after the credits have rolled. After all, they are the ones who continue to fight the good fight between their various action films.
Long live the 2nd Amendment!